- This event has passed.
SparkTalks 2020 – Beloved Community : : ReEnvisioned
October 16, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm MDT
“The aftermath of nonviolence is the creation of the beloved community so that when the battle is over, a new relationship comes into being between the oppressed and the oppressor.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
In 1956 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. presented the idea of The Beloved Community: a global vision of economic and social inclusivity emerging out of love for one another. Sixty-four years later, 2020 has brought personal, social, and institutional injustices to the forefront of our lives.
Today, as we stand on the precipice of change, we ask what can the beloved community look like in this present moment?
For the Spark Talks 2020, Naropa alumni will share their experiences, stories, ideas, inquiries, research, poetry & artwork as they relate to the Beloved Community :: ReEnvisioned for 2020 and beyond. Join us to hear from Naropa alumni –
- Michelle Aurebach – MFA Writing & Poetics 2004 The Beloved Community Is Made of Stories
- Shatasia Griffith – BA Contemplative Psychology 2020 Policing Black America and the Roots of Racism in America
- Don Hall – Environmental Leadership, 2009 The Beloved Community in the Anthropocene
- Marie-Michele Marchand – Interdisciplinary Studies, 2001 Blessing
- Joey Marti – BA Contemplative Psychology 2014 Instant Emotional Healing: Get Sparked, Look Inward, and Say Yes
- Elizabeth Russell – 2000 Art & Design Imagination and Radical Belonging in the Age of Estrangement Hosted By:
Monica Dionysiou – MFA Contemporary Theatre Performance, 2013
See the 2019 SparkTalks with the theme Just Joy https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJJxnVXcY0ArphG2CM5E5DOcbAfzMXGes
This event is open to the public!
If you are so inspired, there is also the option to make a donation on the check out page. Your support helps Naropa continue to put on events like these, to engage the community in thought-provoking activities, and support students so they can go out and positively change the world.